Now that the desert is starting to heat up (both because of the summer and because we're at lower elevation, it's time to switch into a desert routine. Here's our basic day-to-day:
- Alarm goes off at 4:30am (or 4:00am if it's a big day)
- Start hiking by 5:00am
- Hike until 11:30am or so, stopping at a shady spot (ideally near water!)
- Eat lunch, nap, read, stretch, etc.
- Start hiking again around 4:00pm or so, when we're past the heat of the day
- Hike until 7:30pm or so
- Eat dinner before the sun goes down
- Hike until 10:00pm or 11:00pm
- Set up camp and pass out
- Start over at step 1
It allows us to put in some big miles without getting heat exhaustion, but burning the candle at both ends will get old pretty quickly. Oh well!